Wednesday, March 3, 2010

From Lavenham to Lavenham and back again....


New sign at the edge of Lavenham.



A week has passed since our return to Canadian soil, but the events of the weeks preceding our return seem almost a dream…albeit a wonderful one on some fronts, a sad one on others…

As mentioned in my last blog, circumstance made it possible for us to travel to Lavenham , Suffolk , England. We left here on February 8th, and there was so much that happened in the weeks we were there, that I can’t likely cover all the details in a manner they deserve in one writing, so instead will focus on Lavenham for this post.


I can’t really talk about Lavenham though, without mentioning that so much of what we experienced, and saw was thanks to a wonderful couple we met from Maidenhead, through a brief connection we made with their daughter. I won’t mention names, as I didn’t ask permission, but they will know who they are, and let me say, I can’t even imagine what the trip would have been like had they not come into our lives and make it so fabulous! Our never ending gratitude goes out to them.



Lavenham, Suffolk, England. Church of St Peter and St. Paul

As mentioned before, Tony Hepworth and I became internet friends in late 2008 (sometimes I find it hard to believe it was only a couple of years…feels like he’s been part of my life much longer!)…when he was writing his book “A Portrait of Lavenham: Suffolk’s Man Made Wonder”. I’d helped him gather information for the book, and he in turn helped promote my music on that side of the ocean. He’d always encouraged me to come to Lavenham, England and he would organize things for me to do a concert there in their Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. When Shane passed away, and we decided to head to the coast to heal, I never in my wildest dreams imagined part of that healing would entail a trip to Lavenham, England! However, as I mentioned before, one day I mentioned that a trip there needed to be part of any upcoming trips we planned, the next I won the money to purchase airfare, in the amount I had said it would take, and the next we found out that Tony’s condition had worsened significantly….so a trip had to happen quickly.

Tony got the ball rolling, and enrolled the Lavenham Merchant’s Guild to help carry out his plans for the concert. Our biggest fear in the weeks leading up to getting to Lavenham was that he would not be able to be there when we arrived, as his condition continued to deteriorate with each passing report we received. Every day I steeled myself for news that he couldn’t wait for us, but each day as none came, I held out hope that I would have the chance to meet my friend.

We finally arrived in Lavenham, England on February 12th, after a few days of touring other parts of England. The Guild members (notably Goff and Carole Holland) had arranged for a radio interview with BBC Suffolk, so after doing that we finally got to see the church that Tony had spoken so endearingly of in all of his correspondence and writings.



Stained glass windows in Church.

The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul construction began in 1485, although it’s been determined that it wasn’t completed until around 1530. It was built in the high years of the wool trade, and its majesty is evidence of the wealth that enveloped the area during that time (Lavenham being one of the 20 wealthiest towns of that period). It also is able to boast having the highest church tower (141 feet)of any village church’s in Suffolk and beyond. Inside the church, I was left speechless at the design and details that unfolded before us. The stained glass windows, the mason work on the walls and supports, the woodwork on the podiums. It was all overwhelming to say the least, to know I would be performing in this church that held so much of our ‘mother-towns’ history. One of the nicest features I found in the church was on the back wall, where there lists of all the young men who had lost their lives in WW1 and WW11 were inscribed. Under the names was a binder, and if you flipped to any page in the binder, you could find the story of one of the men listed on that wall…their education, their loves, their hobbies, their hopes….it was such a beautiful touch to be able to read about the person behind the name.



View down the aisle from the front where I performed from.

After we left the church, we ventured over to finally meet my friend Tony, who had arranged a small gathering of a few friends and some wonderful English Sparkling White Wine to celebrate our first face to face meeting. It was wonderful to finally have that chance, although in my heart I felt I’d known him so long…it was hard to fathom and remember we’d never actually met. Tony allowed me to give him a small private concert there, and he had a list of the songs he wanted to here. It was very heart touching to realize how well he knew my music and how it had connected us. He was delighted to hear the song I had written for the concert simply called “Lavenham” which tells the story of Oliver Wright, who left Lavenham England in 1883 to make his way to Canada, eventually settling near what is now our Lavenham. It was because of him that our town was called Lavenham. Tony’s main request was that our little concert end with “My little corner of the world”. The song he favored above all others, and had played on BBC two years before.

It was an emotional meeting, and when Tony said that looking forward to this concert and meeting had kept him going, I was able to tell him how his encouragement and support had also kept me going over the past several months. Having the excitement of looking forward to this trip and concert had helped so much to offset the heartbreak of the holidays and the birthday and had allowed me to look forward to something beyond my grief. When we left, I promised Tony that when I returned from Scotland on the following Thursday I’d come back and play a few more songs if he’d like, he said he would.


Veiw down Church Street, Lavenham, England

The next day, before heading on a whirlwind trip of Scotland, Cecil and I had a chance to explore the town a little more closely. What an amazing collection of buildings! And what amazing foresight people have had to protect and preserve them! Many of the buildings were built in the 1500s of timber that had not had the chance to properly dry and cure, and with that they have twisted and contorted through the years…but they are still standing! A walk to the edge of town, towards the hills behind, can certainly clarify for you why Oliver Wright chose to name our town Lavenham in Manitoba! The scenery was almost identical!




The Swan restaurant and Hotel (where I had one of the best ever steaks in my life!)


Merchants Guild building in the Market Square, Lavenham, England


The Angel Hotel, and the Great House, Market Square, Lavenham, Suffolk


More of those beautiful, 'wonky' buildings!

The following Thursday I did get that opportunity, but things had worsened for Tony. He knew he wasn’t going to make it to the concert, but his daughter was going on his behalf, and he would be listening to my cds at home.

Friday, February 19th, 2010 the concert finally arrived. I will never forget how much work and effort went into seeing this whole event happen by so many members of the Lavenham community. The members of the Guild had all taken on parts to ensure that Tony’s dream was seen through, Regis and Martine from “The Great House” ( www.greathouse.co.uk ) provided dinner for the concert break, and accommodations for Cecil and I in what I have to say was likely the nicest place we’ve ever had the pleasure of staying in. Businesses from throughout the community did their part with advertising, printing, promotion…it was such a wonderful effort made by so many on behalf of such a loved and valued community member.





The night of the concert was amazing. Doug, the sound man, did just a wonderful job of blending the guitar with my voice. About 225 people came out to listen and participate, and at the end of it all we were able to raise about 2,500GBP for the MacMillan Nurses Association and the hospice at Bury St. Edmonds. And I gained memories, and friends that will last me lifetime….it was one of those truly, remarkable moments in life!



Performing at the Concert in Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

After the concert, Tony’s daughter went and shared with him how the night had gone, and once satisfied that all had been carried out to his satisfaction and standards, Tony must have thought it was okay to finally let go, and at shortly after 4 in the morning, he slipped away.

The high of Friday night was certainly tempered with the sadness of Tony’s loss, but the fact that we had the opportunity to perform in that church, and spend time in that amazing ‘wonky’ town…..what a parting gift he gave me…I hope he knew how grateful I was to him for that. I think he did.







In the morning after the concert, a letter arrived in Tony’s mail slot from a young mother who had been at the concert, and who also was raising a child with cerebral palsy, thanking all of us for organizing the event and giving her the opportunity to hear my story and my take on the wonderful lessons that Shane had given me to share with others. Maybe that was a big part of what the whole journey was about….

Till next time,

Lynda

www.musicwriter.ca


No comments: