Sunday, November 9, 2008

November Remembers

Another month has sped by, and more heartbreak in our household to deal with. Cecil's mother, Hazel Turner, passed away on October 27th. For the second time in six months we found ourselves coming to terms with the loss of a parent, and it all seems just too soon and hard to be doing that again. Rememberance day just around the corner, and that too seems extrememly tough this year as both my Dad and my Mother-in-law were veterans who served our country and deserved to be recognized at this time of year. This year that recognition brings more sadness than ever before.

October had some hightlights that need to be shared. On October 16th I got to check another thing off my 'to-do' list, when I got to see Neil Young in concert at the MTS centre in Winnipeg. What a show he put on...and two hours into his performance, his voice still never wavered. One half expects that time will steal the ability to rock away from us, but is certainly hasn't touched his performance one bit! I loved it, and am so glad that it finally happened.
We were trying to figure out just how old Neil was now, so a couple of weeks after the concert I had some time to kill, and did a little googling. I was blown away to learn of Neil and Peggy Young's involvement in the Bridges School in California. I'm particularly interested, as I've been doing my practicum on augmentative communication. Bridges School was founded to support communication for children who are unable to communicate verbally. They seem to be leaders in the field. The Young's son Ben has cerebral palsy, and sounds like he struggles with many of the same symptoms and challenges that Shane faces every day, and it was because of Ben that the Youngs founded the school in 1986. Of course all this new knowledge has lead to another to-do on my list. Every October they host a 2 days accoustic concert to raise funds for the school...so of course somewhere down the line I'm going to have to find a way to attend that one day. Sheesh! My list just never does get any smaller does it!

We were out in BC recording the final voice tracks for my second CD in October as well. All went well with that, and the hope is that the cd will be done by Christmas time, so that's a positive to help offset some of the heartaches of this year. Of course, some of those heartaches are reflected in the songs of this collection, but there are also songs with humor and of appreciation to offset the sadder tunes as well, so I hope it's a well rounded collection.

Our second Home Routes House Concert of the season was held the end of October, with Rose Cousins as the performer. Rose was a lovely lady from Halifax (a native of PEI though), who entertained us with songs off her "If you were for me" CD.
We had our first snowday of the year from school yesterday. We got about a foot of snow dumped on us here Thursday/Friday, so I guess old man winter has arrived in the valley. We're not as ready as we'd like to be with all the events that have taken place over the past few weeks, but then we never really do feel like we're ready for winter again anyways!

Till next time,
Take care,
Lynda
www.musicwriter.ca

No comments: