Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"When she dreams she dreams...


of a place out near the water....."
That's the opening line of one of the songs that will be on my next CD when that time comes. I've been thinking about the water a lot lately, I think waking up daily to -28c with a windchill factor will do that, none the less, I do love the the water.
I think I got transported back to my memories of it by a couple of emails I received over the past few days, from friends we'd met in our travels. Most recently to the East Coast, where we headed last September to attend Canadian Country Music Awards week, and the seminars and hoopla associated with it. It was an incredible week, riding up and down in the elevator with Patricia Conroy, George Canyon, The Road Hammers. Who'd have ever thought we'd find ourselves there? The week was one thing, but the Maritimes, now they are something else.
I think it started last February when I almost died on the operating table, and realized once again, how fragile life is. During my recovery from surgery, I had a lot of time to think about what direction I wanted my life to take, and all compasses pointed me back to my music. I just didn't know at the time how that pursuit of my passion was going to open more doors than you can imagine. Nashville in March was one. St. John in September was another. Every where I look these days, I swear I see more doors just waiting for me.
Everything about our week in St. John was wonderful, then when the CCMA's were over, having had the good fortune of an early harvest at home, meant that we were able to tack an extra 5 days onto our escape and tour some more of the Maritimes. I'd lived there as a child when Dad was in the Navy, but there aren't a lot of memories attached to that for me (except maybe living so close to the railway tracks in Dartmouth and the noise that came with that...oh ya, and the time the gold fish died, and my dear Mother's panic over how to dispose of the body!) But with those as my only memories, we were open books to drink in all the beauty it had to offer.
I took this picture at Cheticamp as we ventured through Cape Breton. We chose Cheticamp because we were so taken with the music of J.P.Cormier in the CCMA songwriters circles. Funny how we decide our destinations isn't it? Anyway, it was all we'd imagined. Cecil had learned the Acadian way to eat lobster on a tour boat in Shediak, so he'd found a couple in town that afternoon, and enjoyed his feast as this beautiful sunset ended our day. Wow.
The rest of our travel introduced us to treasures like Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg and back to St. Andrews NB. I know there was tons we missed due to the timelines, but oh what we brought home! Add that to the wonderful people that we had the pleasure of meeting and spending some time with, and it's a recipe to want to go back!
So now I'm heading off to dream now, because "when she dreams, she dreams!"
L

No comments: